Ninja!

Disclaimer:

Like 'The Davinci code' everything you read here is completely true

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

burning memories but not bridges

I spent that past 5 days at camp. It was exhausting. I guess I'm just not used to the 14 or so hour days they run around there. I've gotten soft in my month of eight hour shifts with government regulated breaks.

Unfortunately I'm rather forgetful and didn't take any pictures throughout my time there.

Within hours of getting there i was placed 'on call' that means if anything goes wrong i deal with it/get blamed for it. Then I'm told I'm on call for the entire weekend because Jenni who is regularly the in charge person is going away for the weekend... I thought they only did that when there was no other option

The title of this post come from a sheet of paper that we all wrote our memories down on at the end of the summer. I used it as a fire starter one of the nights and thus the burning memories. And even though i listened to 'songs to burn your bridges by' I didn't burn any bridges and would still be able to go back there without feeling like i shouldn't be there.

The first few days were filled with a high school group we we ran open activities for and had lots of fun with them. Some of them were former staff and thus we could have even more good times.
The grade 12s were forced to do the killer beam as part of their leadership development. I called it the four seasons killer beam -not because it had any thing to do with that branch of hotels (i think) but that fall winter summer and spring were all experienced. It was fairly nice then it rained then hailed and then rained again and then the sun came out. it was odd.
The rest of the two days went really well. I was exhausted at the end of each day, but looked foward to the next one...
Friday morning the high schoolers left along with the camp cook and my the person who usually is 'on call'. then arrived the cadets... after watching the cadets in their ranks and their officers throughout the weekend i have determined that i could last a full 6 minutes in the army or navy.
They were a lot of fun however and the weekend went well.
My favourite memories include the reciting of the naval prayer which was very moving to me. It was a great pleasure to see about fifty cadets bow their heads and thank God for protecting them and ask them to continue protecting them the queen and their ships etc. all in ' the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ.'

And my other favourite memory was when I fed some of the cadets spreadable edible oil product (whipped cream) off the spatula whilst they were standing in ranks...
i needed to get rid of the extra whipped cream so i decided to see if they wanted any..and with the permission of the officers i gave it out....which led to one of the best quotes I've heard in my entire life
"eat your whipped cream in silence!!!"

all told the time at camp was fun filled and well worth doing ...i was blessed with seeing old friends again and many of my favourite meals and general good times...
any way off to eat my waffles which i had forgotten about until now...
-luKe

1 comment:

amy said...

i am commenting on lukes blog.

blah blah blah

wow, amy, such insightful comments on luke's insightful blog.

yes, its true. we rock.

this makes no sense but i wanted to comment. hope things are well!